As expected, Sony recently unveiled the FE 14mm F1.8 G Master lens, which was tentatively announced about a month ago. According to the manufacturer, this full-frame mirrorless lens is characterized by high resolution and minimal geometric distortion throughout the frame, so it is well suited for landscapes, architecture, starry skies, and interiors.
At the same time, the lens turned out to be surprisingly compact and lightweight for its category. In particular, it is two and a half times lighter than the similar Sigma 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art lens, introduced in 2017 and which, according to Sigma, became the first lens with this combination of focal length and maximum aperture.
Join us on Telegram
The Sony FE 14mm F1.8 G Master uses a proprietary Nano AR Coating II to help prevent flare and ghosting when shooting near bright light sources. The diaphragm control ring can rotate smoothly or in steps. There is also an AF / MF switch and a configurable button to save the focus position, which can be assigned to another function of the user’s choice.
The lens is weatherproof. The protective cover on the front element prevents contamination. Threaded filters are not possible, but the mount has a slot for film filters and a template is included to create filters of the correct size and shape.
Sony FE 14mm F1.8 G Master Lens Specifications:
- Focal length – 14 mm
- Aperture – f / 1.8-f / 16
- Optical design – 14 elements in 11 groups, including Super ED element, aspherical element, 2 XA elements and 2 ED elements.
- The minimum focusing distance is 0.25 m
- The maximum magnification is 0.1x
- The number of aperture blades – 9
- Focusing – automatic with a built-in linear drive and manual
- Diameter – 83 mm
- Length – 100 mm
- Weight – 460 g
- Sales of new items will begin in May at a price of $ 1,600