Samsung has already rolled out the July 2020 security patch to some of its smartphones, including the Galaxy S20 series. The company has now revealed the details of the July 2020 security patch.
Along with Google security patches, Samsung provides 14 Samsung Vulnerabilities and Exposures (SVE) items, in order to improve customer’s confidence in the security of Samsung Mobile devices.
In the July 2020 security patch, the company fixed 4 critical vulnerabilities in the Android OS, along with several high and moderate-risk vulnerabilities.
Join our Samsung Channel on Telegram:
Issues fixed in the July 2020 security patch:
- A vulnerability in Cameralyzer allows unauthorized applications to write arbitrary files in SD card area. The patch prevents unauthorized access to Cameralyzer functions.
- A vulnerability in FactoryCamera application allows runtime permission without user consent. The patch restricts access of FactoryCamera application only to factory binaries.
- A vulnerability allows FRP bypass through KNOX API. The patch addressed the issue.
- A vulnerability allowing enrollment of new lock password within FRP stage enables FRP bypass. The patch prevents FRP bypass by blocking new lock password enrollment.
- A possible information leak vulnerability exists in shared memory. The patch fixes incorrect implementation of kernel logging.
- A vulnerability in BLE SoC implementations may allow result in deadlocks, crashes and buffer overflows. The patch addressed the vulnerability.
- A possible path traversal vulnerability exists in StickerProvider allowing access to certain system file. The patches prevents arbitrary access in StickerProvider.
- An improper boundary check in ImageProcessHelper allows out of bounds memory access resulting in device reset. The patch addresses the vulnerability.
Note: Some SVE items included in the Samsung Android Security Update cannot be disclosed at this time.
Samsung Galaxy devices that have received the July 2020 security patch:
- Galaxy S20
- Galaxy S20+
- Galaxy S20 Ultra
- Galaxy A50
- Galaxy S10e
- Galaxy S10
- Galaxy S10+
- Galaxy Z Flip
- Galaxy Note 10
- Galaxy Note 10+