Samsung Galaxy S20 devices have two physical keys on the right side: the Volume key and the Side key. As the name suggests, the Volume key can be pressed to adjust the phone’s volume. The Side key, or the Power/Bixby key, can be short pressed, long pressed, or double pressed to access different functions.
Alone, the keys have their own functions, but together, they can be used to create your own shortcuts for a more streamlined experience.
Here are the default key functions you can use:
- Bixby Voice: Long press the Side key.
- Screen on or off: Short press the Side key.
- Power on: Long press the Side key while the phone is off.
- Screen capture: Short press the Side and Volue down key simultaneously.
- Power off menu: Long press the Side and Volume down key simultaneously while the phone is on.
- Launch Camera: Double press the Side key. If you’ve already set up Bixby Voice, double pressing may open Bixby Assistant Home instead.
Note: You can also power off your phone with the Quick Settings panel. Swipe down from the top of the screen, tap the Power icon in the top corner of the screen, and then tap Power off.
How to change Side key on the Galaxy S20:
You can customize the shortcuts assigned to the Side key.
Choose which feature is launched when the Side key is pressed twice.
From Settings, tap Advanced features > Side key. Tap Double press to enable this feature, and tap an option:
- Quick launch camera (default)
- Open Bixby
- Open app
Press and hold
Choose which feature is launched when you press and hold the Side key.
From Settings, tap Advanced features > Side key. Under the Press and hold heading, tap an option:
- Wake Bixby (default)
- Power off menu