Google began this day by surprising its users with the Android 14 Beta 4 release. And it looks like, this could be the final beta upgrade before the stable launch of the upcoming operating system. There is a lot to explore on this matter, so let’s begin our tour.
Android 14 Beta 4 is running live for all eligible Pixel models ranging from Pixel 4a 5G to the latest Pixel 7 series. In addition, the new firmware is also available for the Pixel Fold and Pixel Tablets. Eventually, if you hold any of these devices then you can already enjoy Android 14 before the official release.
Stable Android 14 will make its way on the consumer platform in August 2023. By that time, we might see another rollout in the form of the beta 4.1 version. While there is still some time to know the exact inputs on this subject, let’s take a glimpse at fixes that are coming along with the beta 4 upgrade.
Android 14 Beta 4 Changelog [Fixes for Developer-reported issues]
- Fixed a system issue that caused both notifications to stop appearing and Quick Settings tiles to stop working until the device was restarted.
- Fixed system issues that sometimes caused VoIP apps to stop recording audio when the screen was locked or the app was put in the background.
- Fixed an issue where the title of the currently playing song would abruptly disappear or be replaced with other information when transitioning a device from always-on-display mode to the lock screen.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented devices from charging or allowed a device to charge but erroneously reported that there were issues with the connected charging cable or accessory.
- Fixed a system issue that sometimes caused the Android System Intelligence service to crash.
Other Resolved Issues
- Fixed an issue that caused the CredentialManager registry to fail when using more than one set of credentials.
- Fixed issues where the HealthConnect API returned null pointer exceptions in some cases to calling apps.
- Fixed issues that could cause boot loops and “Application not responding” messages on some devices.
- Fixed an issue where some elements on the system UI didn’t retheme correctly when switching between day and night modes.
- Fixed a system issue that caused the Picture-in-Picture (PiP) window to be unresponsive when using an app (such as Google Maps) in PiP mode and then locking the screen and reopening the app by tapping the notification on the lock screen.
- Fixed an issue where the lock screen wallpaper was sometimes reset to a blank, black screen when setting a new wallpaper for the home screen.
- Fixed issues that caused poor UI animations in the launcher.
- Fixed an issue where an intent picker dialog was incorrectly shown during work profile setup, which interfered with a user completing setup successfully.
- Fixed an issue that caused the rounded borders on notifications to display incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where a device could sometimes become unresponsive if eSIM was disabled.
- Fixed an issue where the lock screen sometimes got stuck with a blank, black screen.
- Fixed an issue with ConnectivityService that could cause a device to crash and restart in rare cases.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the system volume slider to be stuck on the screen.
- Fixed issues where the titles of some Settings pages were not announced correctly and some areas within the system Settings app couldn’t be accessed when TalkBack was enabled.
- Fixed an issue that could cause fingerprint enrollment to fail if the device was rotated during enrollment.
- Fixed an issue where connected Bluetooth devices were not ranked correctly in the system audio output switcher.
- Fixed an issue where the notification shade didn’t close after tapping a notification to launch an intent. Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the analog clock to fail to display when viewing wallpaper preview.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused only a right-side Bluetooth earbud to be paired.
- Fixed issues that prevented app launch animations from playing correctly.
- Fixed an issue where notifications from a prioritized conversation were erroneously dismissed when the group of non-prioritized notifications was dismissed.
- Fixed an issue where the share sheet sometimes crashed after pressing the copy button.
- Fixed an issue where the UI didn’t return to the share sheet workflow if a user edited an image from the share sheet.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused Face Unlock to fail.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused a USB headset to consume additional power when connected to a device that was making a call using Voice over LTE (VoLTE).
- Fixed a null pointer exception that sometimes caused the launcher to crash after launching an app.
- Fixed an issue where, when using a device with a work profile, the Google Play Store app in the work profile would hang or crash when launched.
- Fixed various issues that caused the system UI to crash in some cases.
- Fixed other various issues that were impacting system stability.