Samsung has finally started rolling out the One UI 5 based on Android 13 for the Galaxy S22 series smartphone users. The South Korean company will soon start the Android 13 beta program for more eligible devices.
This latest build is now available for Galaxy S22 series customers in Germany and comes with the new firmware version number S908BXXU2ZHV4/S906BXXU2ZHV4/S901BXXU2ZHV4. The One UI 5 beta program includes a slew of new features, visual improvements, and more.
The One UI 5 brings aesthetic changes, a new media player and output selector, and an enhanced Google Material U color scheme. Since this is a major update, we can expect Samsung to introduce new features. Check the complete Samsung One UI 5 changelog.
CHANGELOG – ONE UI 5.0 Beta
One UI 5 provides a variety of functions that are personalized only for you and helps you handle different tasks with ease.
My Galaxy, whatever I want
Color palette with more options
- Find the color that’s right for you from the color palette.
- You can choose from a total of 16 color themes and general color themes based on the wallpaper.
Stack widgets on the home screen and swipe left or right to check them
- Stack multiple widgets such as weather and clock into one and swipe left and right to check them.
- You can create a stack by dragging and dropping widgets on top of other widgets, and by sliding the widget on the stack left or right, you can easily check the information of the widget you have specified, such as weather and time.
Simplified caller identification
- By setting the desired call background for each contact, you can check who the caller is at a glance when a call comes in.
Decide whether to receive notifications from the beginning
- When you launch an app for the first time, you can decide whether to receive notifications or not, so you can only receive notifications from apps you allow.
Easily block annoying app notifications
- The app notification controls have been revamped to appear at the top of the notification settings, making it easy to block when there are too many app notifications.
Choose which types of app notifications you want to receive
- From pop-up notifications to app icon badges to lock screen notifications, you can choose to receive only the types of notifications you want, or no notifications at all, in a separate control menu.
Reminders due to be completed today at a glance
- You can easily check the reminders scheduled to be completed today in the newly added ‘Today’ category. Reminders due to be completed today are also displayed at the top of the main screen of the Reminders app.
Show and hide completed reminders
- You can show or hide completed reminders in any category.
- Show completion reminders when you want to see tasks completed today, and hide completion reminders when you want to focus on a must-do.
Customize the reminder view screen as you like
- You can choose the reminder view screen to suit you. Show more reminders without detail information, or reduce the number of reminders and display the completion date, repeat condition, etc. together.
Set the language differently for each app
- Added option to settings to specify different languages for each app.
Edit wallpaper collection for lock screen
- You can select an image to use as your lock screen wallpaper and add or delete it whenever you want.
- Customize the function key and punctuation key next to the space bar on your Samsung keyboard
- You can choose whether to display function keys and punctuation keys next to the spacebar.
Improved sound and vibration settings
- The menu has been improved to make it easier to find the sound and vibration options you want.
From selecting a ringtone to adjusting the volume and vibration intensity, you can easily set it all in one place.
Make my Galaxy more productive
Extract images or text from the screen
- You can extract text using Samsung keyboard, internet, gallery app, or extract text from screenshot.
- Easily extract and paste text into messages, emails, or documents without having to type in text.
Get useful feature recommendations based on the text content of the image
- You can recommend useful features related to text content in apps such as Gallery and Camera.
- When you select a phone number or website address from the image, you’ll see a button where you can make a call or a link to the website.
Work more easily with connected devices
- If you select the Connected Device menu in Settings, you can run functions that are used in connection with other devices, such as Quick Share, Smart View, and Samsung DeX, more easily and quickly.
Easily switch between split screen and pop-up screen by swiping the screen
- Switch to split screen by swiping with two fingers on the bottom or both sides of the full screen,
You can switch to a pop-up screen by swiping one corner from the top of the full screen to the center with one finger.
- Drag the window to the top of the screen to switch the pop-up screen to full screen, or to the center of the screen to minimize the pop-up screen.
- This feature can be turned on or off in settings.
Quickly open split screen from recent apps screen
- From the Recent Apps screen, you can open an app directly by dragging it above or below the desired screen.
- If you hold your phone horizontally, drag the app to the side.
Use multiple timers at the same time
- Even if you have a running timer, you can run additional new timers in the Clock app.
- Easily manage the permissions of invitees to your calendar events
- When you add an event to your Google Calendar, you can grant permission to see who has been invited or invite others.
Samsung DeX taskbar enhancements
- A search button has been added to the taskbar to make finding apps easier, and you can right-click an app to quickly see what it’s doing. You can also choose which apps and buttons to display on the taskbar.
Added DeX notification icon
- After opening the notification window, a red dot is displayed on the taskbar notification button so that you can be notified as soon as a new notification arrives.
Show mini-calendar in DeX taskbar
- When you click a date in the taskbar, a mini-calendar is displayed, making it easy to check future events without opening the calendar app.
Supports Samsung keyboard functions even on external keyboards
- Even when an external keyboard is connected, you can use Samsung keyboard functions such as emoji input and text editing.
More powerful search for my files
- Choose whether to search all files or just the current folder. You can search only the file name, or you can also search for information within a file, such as specific words or location information of an image in a document.
- Once your search is complete, sort the results by name, date, size, or file type for easy viewing.
Improving digital wellness design
- The design of Digital Wellbeing has been improved to make it easier to use functions such as usage time and app timer, and Sleep mode and Focus mode have been moved to the Bixby routine for more convenient use.
Bixby routines automate more
Move sleep mode to Bixby routine
- You can manage your sleep mode from your Bixby routine rather than from the clock app, and you can automate a variety of actions, such as turning on Do Not Disturb when it’s time to go to bed or changing other phone settings.
Specify which mode to run according to your activity
- You can choose which mode to launch according to your activity, whether at work, exercising or studying.
Turn on Do Not Disturb while studying and play music while working out.
Finding routines made easier
- The design has been simplified to make it easier to find useful routines.
Quickly see running routines
- Running routines are displayed at the top of the Bixby Routines screen, making it easy to identify and modify which actions are running.
Add routine actions and conditions
- When using Airplane mode, you can turn on the sub menu and automatically start a routine for balancing the left and right sounds.
to suit my personality
Added new emoji that can be combined into multiple emojis
- 80 new emojis that can be combined into multiple emojis have been added to the Samsung keyboard.
- From unique facial expressions to cute animals, delicious food, and cute props, choose your favorite emoji, combine them with multi-emoji, and express your heart and emotions sensibly.
Added new AR Emoji Stickers
- Download new stickers and express your mood and emotions with your favorite stickers.
A more enriched AR Emoji basic sticker
- You can choose from a total of 15 default stickers when creating a new AR Emoji.
Create AR emojis that express your personality with a variety of basic stickers.
Make the background of AR emoji stickers transparent
- You can create stickers with transparent backgrounds to better match your photos or social media posts.
Use two AR emojis simultaneously in a video
- Decorate your videos with 2 AR Emojis and share them with friends, set them as call backgrounds, or display them on your lock screen.
- Various dances and poses can be selected and combined as templates.
Use your favorite photo as an emoji background
- Choose Scene Mode or Mask Mode to use any photo from your gallery as an emoji background.
Add stickers to Google Calendar
- To keep important events at a glance, consider adding stickers when adding events to your Google Calendar.
- Stickers you add to events appear in both calendar view and list view.
Make a sticker with any photo you want
- Make your own stickers from your gallery photos.
- From the Deco menu, you can select items for the sticker and add various deco and outlines.
Add built-in stickers to the photo editor
- Have fun decorating your photos with 60 new basic stickers.
Provides various GIF editing functions
- You can crop the animated GIF to any size or shape you want, and you can decorate your GIF more freely by using the same decor options for regular images as GIFs.
Samsung keyboard emoji, sticker buttons to your liking
- You can rearrange emojis, stickers, etc. in the order you want by long-pressing the button on the Samsung keyboard.
Enter special character emoticons directly from the keyboard
- Make conversations more interesting with cute special character emoticons combined with keyboard characters like (*^.^*).
photos and videos
Added help icon to pro mode
- A help icon has been added to the Pro/Pro video mode so you can always get tips and how-tos related to the various lenses, options and controls.
Support histogram function in pro mode
- By checking the brightness distribution of the image with the histogram, you can shoot with the desired exposure value.
Easier one-handed zooming
- The spacing of the zoom bar has been reduced to make it easier to zoom the screen even when holding the phone with one hand.
Easily navigate to camera mode
- A back button is displayed when using the mode in the More menu, so you can change to photo mode at any time.
Add watermark to photos
- Try adding a watermark to the corners every time you take a photo.
- You can display the shooting date and time, phone model information, and information specified by you on the watermark.
Telephoto lens support in food mode
- When taking pictures in food mode, you can take close-ups with a telephoto lens.
A new story
- Enjoy more immersive storytelling from your gallery with the new slideshow view.
- Photos and videos in the story can be moved by swiping the screen with your finger or tapping on either end.
Easier filter selection
- All filters are consolidated into one list so that you can easily find the filters you want in the camera, photo and video editors.
- Even when you’re not connected to a mobile network, on-device mode lets you do a variety of tasks on your phone.
“Receive calls and control alarms and timers without Hi Bixby
You can answer a call or turn off the alarm or timer without saying “Hi Bixby” when an incoming call or alarm or timer goes off. Just say “Answer the phone” or “Turn off the alarm” to Bixby.
Safer for peace of mind
Check your phone’s security status at a glance
- A security dashboard has been added to Settings, making it easy to view and fix security issues.
- Get help in case of an emergency
- In case of an emergency, if your phone is in your pocket or you are unable to speak, you can call emergency services by pressing the side button 5 times quickly.
Create an emergency contact list and use it on your phone and watch
- You can create a list of people to contact in case of an emergency and use it in common on your phone and watch.
Notification when sharing images with personal information
- When you share an image that contains sensitive information, such as a credit card, ID, or passport, you’ll see a notification in the Share panel. Prevent accidental leakage of valuable personal information in advance.
Easily check website security status
- The security status of the site being used is displayed as an icon in the address bar of the Samsung Internet browser, and by clicking the icon, you can see what information the site collects and tracks.
- for everyone to use
- Add accessibility feature to quick settings window
- High-contrast text, color inversion, color adjustment, and color filter functions can be added to the quick setting window and selected easily.
- Use your phone like a magnifying glass
- Turn on the magnifier shortcut in the accessibility settings to use the magnifier function conveniently. The Magnifier feature allows you to greatly enlarge text or objects that are difficult to see with your phone’s camera.
- Offers a wider range of voice assistants
- When it is difficult to see the screen, you can get help from various voice feedback. Check what letters are typed on the keyboard by voice, or listen to what’s around you through Bixby Vision.
You can also hear what’s playing in the video (supported videos only).
- TalkBack has been improved so that you can use Braille without installing a separate app.
Braille is supported by most phone features, including the phone initial setup process (English, Spanish, Arabic, Polish).
Easily edit accessibility buttons
- You can easily change the functions triggered by the accessibility buttons. To change the function, press and hold the accessibility button.
Added new edge behavior
- When you move the mouse to a corner, you can click to select, drag, drag and drop, move to the top, and move to the bottom.
Notification design improvements
- The app icon has been enlarged so that you can see at a glance which app sent the notification, and the text alignment options have been improved to make the content of the notification easier to read.
Answer difficult-to-answer calls by text
- When you get a call when you’re busy, automatically answer what’s going on. If it is difficult to answer the call, the answer I typed or selected is read for you.
Drag and drop bookmarks into folders
- You can drag and drop Samsung Internet Bookmarks into the folder. Manage your bookmarks simply and neatly.
Play sound on PC with Windows Connect function
- When using the phone app on a PC, you can set whether to play the app sound on your phone or PC by selecting the button on the app’s title bar.
Add battery life information to device care
- We’ve added battery life information to Device Care so you can check your battery life at any time, and you’ll be notified when your battery life runs out so you can replace it.
Add RAM Plus option
- When you don’t need RAM Plus or want to limit storage usage, you can turn it off right from Device Care.
Show app name in Apps edge panel
- If you turn on the Show app name option, the name will be displayed under the app icon.
- Some download themes may not be compatible with Android 13 version. If the theme is not compatible, the phone default theme will be applied after upgrading.