On September 14, 2020, Youtube unveiled the new ‘Youtube Shorts’, which allows users to create short videos and aims to replace TikTok after its ban in India.
Youtube Shorts is a new short-form video experience of 15 seconds or less on Youtube for creators and artists who want to shoot short, catchy videos using only their smartphones.
The Chinese owned TikTok along with other 58 apps got banned in June in India. These apps were “engaged in activities which are prejudicial to the sovereignty and integrity of India”. Under the absence of TikTok, Instagram has also rolled out its short video option, Instagram Reel to lure some more users.
Currently, the Shorts is in early beta and initially available for the Indian creators but it’ll also reach global creators with its development.
Youtube Shorts creation tools:
- Create: Creation is at the core of short-form video, and we want to make it easy and fun to create Shorts. We’re starting to test just a few new tools for creators and artists with our early beta in India:
- A multi-segment camera to string multiple video clips together,
- The option to record with music from a large library of songs that will continue to grow,
- Speed controls that give you the flexibility to be creative in your performance,
- And a timer and countdown to easily record, hands-free
Youtube is also offering viewers the reach of 2 billion viewers and a new watch experience that lets you easily swipe vertically from one video to the next, plus discover other similar short videos.